Communications Director | Jump$tart Coalition
Washington, D.C., Date
While serving as the organization’s first communications professional, increased social media engagement to help build awareness of Jump$tart Coalition and the need for financial literacy.
• Led $60,000 website redevelopment project.
• Manage volunteers, freelancers and vendors.
• Write and disseminated media releases.
• Develop marketing materials, newsletters and all marketing and communications outreach.
• Manage all social media channels.
• Doubled Twitter engagement while growing followers
• Designed email marketing, a conference app, and other tools for the organization’s largest conference.
• Implemented new tech support, email marketing and other technologies.
National Grain and Feed Association (Washington, DC) Aug. 2012-June 2015
Modernized communications portfolio to create one look and feel of external-facing communications, including e-mail, brochures, presentations and online.
• Managed media relations of nearly 100 Tier 1 and trade reporters.
• Eliminated printed bi-weekly newsletter for an approximate $5,000 annual savings; moved to Constant Contact to manage and measure results.
• Established and grew social media outreach using Hootsuite.
• Led $20,000 website redesign and implementation with a focus on improved usability, member-only section, online learning, and improved engagement.
• Managed communications vendors and freelancers.
PUBLIC RELATIONS DIRECTOR
PHH Mortgage (Mt. Laurel, NJ) Oct. 2011-Aug. 2012
Worked to unite public relations efforts for mortgage and fleet, and create one voice for the PHH brand.
• Assisted with crisis communications including: a S&P downgrade, an ousted CEO and a reduction in force.
• Managed media relations of more than 50 Tier 1 and trade reporters for the fleet business.
• Assisted with Investor Relations—such as quarterly reports and SEC filings.
VICE PRESIDENT, SR. COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER
Rabobank (New York, NY)
Doubled press outreach in first year to help build brand awareness of Rabobank in the marketplace.
• Wrote and disseminated media releases for our retail and wholesale groups.
• Directed internal and external communications for our Food & Agribusiness Research and Advisory group.
• Developed podcasts and webinars to promote Rabobank’s research to clients and media.
• Managed media training workshops for managers.
• Maintained Rabobank’s Tier 1, trade and other media relationships in New York and across the United States.
• Produce internal communications pieces and intranet web postings.
• Developed copy for advertisements and marketing materials as needed.
• Created Rabobank’s U.S. media presence on its website, and social media sites such as LinkedIn and Facebook.
• Served on company’s team to develop local corporate social responsibility (CSR) program.
• Led CSR Wellness Committee with members from across the United States.
• Act as team leader for CSR Campaigns such as Go Red for Women, Team for Kids Half Marathon.
• Managed communications vendors and freelancers.
SR. PUBLIC RELATIONS MANAGER
Freddie Mac (McLean, VA) Sept. 2005- May 2007
Promoted Freddie Mac’s debt and equity transactions and events to local, national and international business media, and assisted with investor relations.
• Monitored financial, housing and legislative issues to create a daily briefing for executives.
• Managed distribution of media releases for preferred stock deals and monthly debt investments.
• Assisted with production of annual report and proxy distribution.
• Assisted with development of annual shareholder meeting and quarterly conference calls.
PUBLIC RELATIONS MANAGER
American Bankers Association (Washington, DC) Sept. 2003-Aug. 2005
Represented the nation’s banks to trade, national and international media on issues such as farm credit, mortgage lending, small business, human resources, employment and community development.
• Created, managed, executed and monitored strategic outreach and communication plans for clients such as the Center for Agricultural and Rural Banking and the Center for Community Development.
• Tripled the number of reporters covering the Agricultural and Rural Development Conference.
• Managed assistant to maintain team and department databases.
• Enhanced outreach in the areas of human resources, training and bank employment by 5 percent.
• Won Special Service Award for designing new database in June 2004.
• Won department award for “Thinking Outside the Box” for small business outreach effort in April 2005.
PUBLIC RELATIONS/MARKETING SPECIALIST
Virginia Tech (Blacksburg, VA) Feb. 1999-Aug. 2001
Streamlined databases and the flow of information, while implementing more long-term programs.
• Served as university spokesperson in absence of the Director of College and Media Relations.
• Recruited, trained and managed daily operations of seven interns.
• Cultivated relationships with local, national and trade media.
• Designed, maintained and updated the News Bureau section of the University Relations web page.
• Processed, wrote and edited media releases, media bios and other summaries and information.
• Maintained databases of Virginia Tech news clippings, reporters and university experts.
• Trained and prepared for crisis communications.
Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) (Washington, DC) June 1996-Jan. 1999
Enhanced the distribution of information by developing an on-line newsletter to complement the printed version.
• Led implementation and development of Intranet site for the newsletter.
• Edited, designed and coordinated the agency’s monthly employee newsletter.
• Edited regulatory bulletins, memos, handbooks and articles.
• Received Special Service Award in December 1996.
INTERN/EDITORIAL ASSISTANT, OCC (during academic breaks) May 1992-Aug. 1993
• Received Meritorious Summer Employee award in 1992 and 1993.